5 Ways to Overcome Anxiety
According to Harvard Health Publishing, about 30% of people with anxiety disorders go through life untreated. If you think you might fall into this category — or if you have IBS, asthma, COPD, or heart disease and haven’t been evaluated for anxiety — discuss it with your primary care clinician. Also be open to considering anxiety as the root cause if you have unexplained physical symptoms. Keep in mind that all symptoms are real — and treatable — whether they originate in the body or the brain. Anxiety can cause physical, emotional, and spiritual problems.
Here are 5 anxiety relieving methods that can help calm you.
1) Repetitive prayer-repeat a Bible verse or something that has spiritual significance to you. Doing this, even for a minute, several times a day will help you manage your anxiety.
2) Deep, diaphragmatic breathing-this will help minimize the production of stress hormones as you breathe more slowly and deliberately. Put your hand over your stomach and make sure it’s filling with air when you inhale and emptying of air as you exhale. Practice this kind of breathing several times a day. Check online for more instruction.
3) Meditation-find a safe, private place, that’s free of distractions and noise. Quietly listen for God as you listen to your body.
4) Guided imagery-here you allow your mind to conjure up soothing, relaxing places as you escape mentally. Let you mind visit a lake, the beach, or a beautiful meadow as you conceptually transcend all physical boundaries.
5) Body scanning-lay down, eyes closed. Slowly concentrate on each individual part of your body. Start at your head and go all the way to your toes as you bring thoughts of healing and relaxation to each part.
“I said, Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.” Psalm 55:6