If you find yourself feeling blue, agitated, or just not 100% on your emotional game lately, there are a few things you can do that will help.
1) Pray. Spend a few minutes in meditation and prayer each morning before you start your day. Even 5 minutes of quiet time will make a huge difference.
2) Breath. Take deep cleansing breaths in and out. Practice this several times a day. Deep breathing will help your cortisol levels which in turn will lower your stress.
3) Exercise. If a daily walk is all you do, change it up. Vigorously walk up hills or stairs or run a few yards off and on. Install the “7 Minute Workout” on your phone and add that to your schedule. Slowly increase the time until you can do 3 or more cycles of the workout. When you get used to it, change it up again.
4) Sleep. Most people are sleep-deprived and don’t know what to do about it. All of our “smart devices” are playing havoc with our health, one way is by interrupting our sleep. Don’t look at your screens 2 hours before you plan on sleeping; 1 hour minimum.
5) Diet. Eat meals that are unprocessed, and include raw, organic food as minimally prepared as possible. Avoid chemicals contained in most sauces and salad dressings. Consume all caffeine before noon. Things like colas and chocolate are culprits too. Not only will they affect your mood, but later, your sleep, which in turn affects your mood.
6) Self-inventory. Your mental health will improve when you are proactive. Spend time examining your thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors. Be courageous and make those tough changes that will help you become a better version of yourself. Seek professional help when you need it.